Saturday, October 6, 2007

el diablito


What was consumed during 24 hours of overeating?

*The hours. I gorged myself on time. I bit off more than I could chew, urged time not to wait for me. Wasted, wontonly, time. Tried not to stop time. I watched terrible movies just to pass the time because, for this one day, there seemed to be far too much of it.

6430 calories
(Time is rich and is better eaten with moderation and breathing space.)

*42 edifices. With much of my smile inside, so as not to be ridiculous, I approached the brown line’s stop at Armitage. I ran my tongue up buildings (into open window), over roofs, and down subsequent brickwork. The architecture was delicious.

1000 calories
(Metal, brick and concrete are dense, but low-calorie.)

*One woman’s body. With avarice I looked on long legs, thin hips, short, dark hair, dramatic brows and cheek bones, the kind of features generations of borscht and verenika eaters ensured I would never have. The graceful moves here, and there the merciless multi-tasking, quick wit and the hat. So-so. So stylized, clean-lined. I looked away. But there were also: earrings, jeans (how long had it been since I’d owned a pair of The Jeans?), tight, neat apron.

450 calories
(I regurgitated most of what I saw soon after.)

No comments: